Lemon and poppy seed cake
Skill level: Bit of effort
This quick-to-prepare recipe makes a subtle, delicately-flavoured cake. Cut into squares and serve with high tea. Perfection!
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 125g (4½ oz) soft, unsalted butter
- Juice and grated lemon zest of 2 organic or unwaxed lemons
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ x 284ml carton buttermilk
- 2tsp poppy seeds
- 2tbsp icing sugar, to dust
You will need:
- 15cm (6in) square tin, completely lined with parchment paper
To find out if your cake is ready, insert a skewer in it: it should come out clean.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Sieve the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then whisk in the butter until you've got crumbs.
- Beat together the lemon zest, whole egg, egg yolks and buttermilk in a bowl. Add to the flour mixture, beating all the time. Then stir in the poppy seeds and pour into the tin. Bake on the middle shelf for around 45 mins.
- Cool in tin, cut into squares and serve with a light dusting of icing sugar and fruit.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 318(kcal)
- Fat 16.0g
- Saturates 8.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.