Rich chocolate and rum cake
Melt-in-the-mouth chocolate, crunchy almonds, lush double cream and dark rum: welcome to cake heaven!
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 300g (10oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 50g (2oz) ground almonds
- 175g (6oz) good quality dark chocolate, melted
For the filling and icing:
- 500ml (18fl oz) double cream
- 300g (10oz) good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2tbsp dark rum
You will need:
- 23cm (9in) round spring-form cake tin
Always buy dark chocolate that's at least 70% cocoa solids: it contains health-boosting antioxidants.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). In a large bowl, beat the softened butter with half the sugar until pale and light. Gradually beat in the egg yolks and fold in the flour, cocoa powder and ground almonds alternately with the melted chocolate. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar. Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture and pour into the tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 mins or until the cake is well risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack.
- To make the filling and icing, heat the cream until boiling, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate and rum until the texture is smooth and glossy. Leave to cool until the mixture has thickened.
- Cut the cake into three layers horizontally and use some of the chocolate mixture to sandwich the layers together. Spread the remainder of the chocolate on the top and sides of the cake and serve in slices.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 968(kcal)
- Fat 67.0g
- Saturates 38.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.