Parma ham and porcini mushroom lasagne
Skill level: Bit of effort
This Parma ham and porcini mushroom lasagne is real change from a classic lasagne recipe, as it doesn't have mince at the base of the sauce, it's full of delicious nutty mushrooms and Parma ham. Nothing's more appetising than a crispy, bubbling lasagne that's just come out of the oven and this recipe is no different. Make it that bit different with Parma ham and porcini mushrooms, for a really lovely change. This is a great recipe to make if you're expecting friends as it serves 8 so there will be plenty to go round. Dished up with a side salad of leafy greens, this lasagne recipe will be a hit every time.
- 900ml (1½ pts) béchamel sauce
- 50g (2oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- Knob of butter
- 450g (1lb) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150g (5oz) Parma ham
- 300g (10oz) fresh lasagne sheets
- 200g (7oz) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Ovenproof rectangular dish
- 85g (3½ oz) butter
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 900ml (1½ pts) hot semi-skimmed milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grating of fresh nutmeg
You can substitute lean bacon for Parma ham to create a budget-conscious version of the recipe.
- If you haven't bought ready-made béchamel sauce, melt the 85g butter in a saucepan and add 3tbsp plain flour. Cook for a few mins, then gradually add the hot semi-skimmed milk, whisking all the time until smooth and thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and a grating of fresh nutmeg.
- Soak the dried porcini in 300ml (½ pt) hot water for around 30 mins, then strain into a bowl. You can use the soaking liquid for a casserole or a soup. Melt the knob of butter in a large frying pan, then sauté the chestnut mushrooms with some seasoning until tender. Cut the Parma ham into large strips.
- 3 Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). To assemble the lasagne, put a layer of the porcini and chestnut mushrooms in the ovenproof dish, then some Parma ham strips, then some sheets of pasta. Spoon over some béchamel and a handful of Parmesan. Continue layering and end with pasta, béchamel and Parmesan.
- Bake for 40 mins or until browned and bubbling. Serve with a green salad.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 550(kcal)
- Fat 23.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.