Spaghetti al Pomodori
Skill level: Easy peasy
Impress your friends and family by cooking them this traditional Italian dish (just don't tell them it's really easy!)
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 350g (12oz) ripe vine tomatoes
- 2 red peppers, quartered
- 400g (14oz) dried spaghetti
- 8tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 8tbsp chopped fresh parsley
If you want even more taste and texture, roast a few extra vine tomatoes and serve whole on top of the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Place the olive oil and onion in a large roasting tin and roast for 10 mins.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and peppers. Season well and mix in with the onion. Roast for a further 30 mins until all the vegetables are softened and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions and reserve a little of the cooking water. Place the roasted vegetables in a food processor and whizz for 30 secs to make a thickly textured sauce. Check the seasoning and stir in the herbs. (You can add a little extra water from the pasta if the sauce seems a bit too thick.)
- Pour the sauce over the cooked spaghetti and combine well. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 460(kcal)
- Fat 10.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.