Roasted butternut squash with a parmesan crust
Costs: Cheap as chips
The gorgeous orange flesh of butternut squash makes this an attractive and delicious starter
- 1 butternut squash, about 1kg (2lb 4oz), peeled, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g (1½ oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 25g (1oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Although some recipes recommend roasting squash with the skins on, it's worth the effort to peel before cooking to give melt-in-the-mouth results.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Toss the squash in the oil then transfer to a roasting tin. Season to taste then bake for 30-40 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile mix together the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Remove the squash from the oven and sprinkle over the Parmesan mixture and place under a medium hot grill for 5 mins or until lightly browned.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 340(kcal)
- Fat 24.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.