Stuffed marrow rings
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This simple vegetarian version of the traditional stuffed marrow is utterly delicious and cheap to make
- 1 medium sized marrow, top and tailed
- 100g (4oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 3tbsp milk
- 225g (8oz) vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g (2oz) pine nuts, roughly chopped
- 1tsp dried basil
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Try goat's cheese as an alternative to Cheddar. If you can't get hold of marrow, you can use courgettes halved lengthways with the middles scooped out.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Slice the marrow into 3cm (1¼ in) thick rounds. Cut away and discard the seeds from the centre to form rings. Place in a greased ovenproof dish in a single layer.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk for 2 mins. Mix with 175g (6oz) grated cheese, pine nuts and basil. Season to taste.
- Fill the marrow with the stuffing and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 35-40 mins until the marrow is tender and the cheese is browned.