Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Our vegetarian Moussaka recipe is simple to make serving 4 people and ready in just 55 mins. The Greek classic tastes as good made with vegetables as it does with the usual minced lamb. This traditional bake is made with layers of aubergine, a rich tomato sauce and plenty of cheese. It's a great way of sneaking vegetables into your family's diet too as the sauce and heaps of cheese disguise the veg nicely. If you have any leftovers store in an airtight container for up to 2 days and make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving. A portion of this delicious bake works out at 572 calories per serving.
- 6tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 225g/8oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 125g/4½ oz fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 85g/3oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- 3 medium aubergines cut into long thin slices
- 2 medium eggs
- 450ml/16 fl oz Greek yoghurt
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 40g/1½ oz freshly grated Parmesan
Serve with a freshly prepared salad as a delicious dinner or filling lunch.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan and add onion and garlic, then cook until just soft. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato puree, breadcrumbs, feta, stock cube and cook for 10 mins, then taste and season as required. Remove from heat and add basil.
- Fry aubergines in remaining oil until soft and lightly browned.
- Lightly grease a 2 litre/3½ pt ovenproof dish and line the base with a third of the aubergine slices. Add a layer of the tomato mixture and repeat, and then finish with a layer of aubergine.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except the Parmesan), pour on top of the aubergine and spread out with a spatula. Sprinkle on Parmesan and place in oven for about 45 mins until top is golden and the sauce is bubbling at the edges.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 572(kcal)
- Fat 40.7g
- Saturates 13.9g
- Sugars 16.4g
- Salt 2.5g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.