Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Learn how to make a classic caesar salad with our easy recipe. One of the most popular salad recipes to order in a restaurant, you can easily make it in the comfort of your own home - and you don't even have to buy a ready made dressing! Our caesar salad recipe shows you how to make a simple caesar dressing - you won't believe how easy it is. Combine your homemade dressing with some crispy croutons (we show you how to make them too!), anchovies, lettuce and a little parmesan and voila - a tasty salad is on the table in next to no time!
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 1 cos or romaine lettuce
- 8-10 anchovies, drained
For the Caesar salad dressing
- 300ml olive or sunflower oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- Spalsh Worcestershire sauce
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- Seasonings (Salt and black pepper)
Top your salad with fish, strips of cooked bacon or chicken to create a more substantial main course.
- Remove the crusts from your bread and cut into small cubes. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the bread until golden and slightly crispy. Place on a piece of kitchen roll to drain off the oil.
- Separate the leaves of your lettuce or tear into large pieces and place into a bowl. Slice the anchovies (or use whole) and place atop the lettuce.
- To make the Caesar salad dressing, blend the egg yolks, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice, adding in the oil slowly. The dressing will thicken as you add the oil. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce, add the croutons and shave or grate Parmesan over the top.