Chicken tikka burgers with naan bread and raita
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
These Indian-inspired burgers will go down a treat, contrasting the spice of the tikka paste with the cool raita
- 500g/1lb 2oz minced chicken
- 100g/4oz white breadcrumbs
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 100g/4oz tikka paste
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 25g/1oz fresh coriander, finely chopped plus few sprigs for garnish
- Half a medium cucumber, deseeded and grated
- 2tsp lemon juice
- 200g/8oz Greek yogurt
- 5-6 mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 plain mini naan bread to serve, or a large naan sliced into quarters
Tikka paste also goes perfectly with all kinds of fish and, for vegetarian options, Indian paneer cheese.
- To make the burgers, place the minced chicken, breadcrumbs, onion, tikka paste, egg and the chopped coriander into a bowl and mix well. Cover and place in the fridge. Remember to wash working surfaces, cutting boards, utensils and hands after touching raw poultry.
- To make the raita, put the grated cucumber, lemon juice, greek yogurt and mint together in a bowl and stir to combine. Season to taste, cover and place in the fridge. When you are ready to cook the burgers, take the chicken mixture out of the fridge and divide it into eight portions. Mould each portion into a burger with your hands. Preheat the grill to high, and then cook the burgers for 10-12 mins, turning halfway through the cooking time to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Place naan bread under the grill for the last 2 mins of cooking time to heat through. Serve the burgers with the naan bread and raita, garnished with a sprig of coriander.