Fruity oat bars
Packed with healthy fruits and oats, these deliciously moist health bars make a nutritious snack or lunchbox addition
- 175g (6¼ oz) unsalted butter
- 175g (6¼ oz) light brown soft sugar
- 225g (6¼ oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 85g (3oz) jumbo oats
- 55g (2oz) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 55g (2oz) sultanas
- 55g (2oz) ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
- 55g (2oz) ready-to-eat pitted prunes, chopped
These bars will keep for 1 -2 days if stored in an airtight container.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Place the butter and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until the butter and sugar have melted. Then remove from the heat. Combine the flour, oats, coconut, cinnamon, sultanas, apricots and prunes in a large bowl, then pour over the melted butter and sugar mixture and stir until well mixed and all the flour has been incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into a lighlty greased shallow 23cmx23cm (9inx9in) square cake tin. Press the mixture down with the back of a spoon and smooth until level then bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 mins or until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for approximately 5-10 mins before carefully turning out and leaving to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- When cool simply cut the bars into approximately 20 diamond shapes.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 182(kcal)
- Fat 13.0g
- Saturates 6.0g
- Sugars 13.0g
- Salt 0.2g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.