Spicy duck with basil and asparagus
Skill level: Bit of effort
Basil adds colour and great flavour to stir-fry dishes, so try this duck and asparagus stir-fry recipe that's also a delicious and quick family meal for four.
- 125g (5oz) fine asparagus, cut into 3cm (1in) chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 25g (1oz) pack basil, stalks removed
- 4 skinless duck breasts, thinly sliced
- 2tsp Massaman Thai curry paste
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp Thai fish sauce
- 25g (1oz) unsalted natural peanuts, roughly chopped
Try using tenderstem broccoli instead of asparagus. Also try alternating the Massaman paste with Thai green or red curry paste. It also works well with chicken or turkey.
- Place the asparagus in a steamer over a pan of simmering water. Steam for 4-5 mins until tender and set aside. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the basil leaves and cook for 1-2 mins until they turn slightly translucent and are crispy once removed. Transfer the leaves to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Add the duck slices to the pan and cook on a high heat for 3-4 mins, stirring regularly. Then stir in the curry paste, soy sauce and fish sauce and cook for about 1 min, until the duck is cooked and well coated.
- Add the asparagus, sprinkle over the basil and peanuts and serve with egg or rice noodles.