Aubergine and coconut curry
The firm, meaty flesh of the aubergine is the perfect match for the thick and spicy curry paste
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into wedges and halved
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 200ml (7fl oz) coconut cream
- 300g (10oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6tbsp chopped fresh coriander
For the curry paste:
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 4tsp garam masala
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp paprika
Smaller portions of this curry would also make a perfect side dish for a meaty Indian main course.
- Purée the curry paste ingredients to make a thick paste and set to one side. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add the aubergines and cook for 10 mins until soft and lightly charred.
- The wedges will soak up the oil like a sponge, but just keep turning them to make sure they don't catch too much and, once they're done, they'll start to release the oil again.
- Add the onion and salt and cook for 5 mins. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 mins. Be careful not to squash aubergines too much.
- Add the coconut cream, tomatoes and 200ml (7fl oz) water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins. Fold in coriander and serve with naan bread.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 295(kcal)
- Fat 28.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.