Rustic roasted cod
Skill level: Easy peasy
This simple recipe shows off the fresh flavour of the fish, with comforting roast potatoes and squash
- 400g (14oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 10 small plum tomatoes, halved
- Few sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 4 thick pieces cod fillet
Instead of cod, try haddock, salmon or fresh tuna. For extra flavour, pour a little white wine over the fish before you cook it. Add any other veg you like to this one-pan roast try courgette, pepper or aubergine chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Parboil the potatoes in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 mins, then drain well.
- Place the potatoes in a large, shallow ovenproof dish with the chunks of butternut squash. Pour over half the olive oil and toss the vegetables to coat in the oil. Roast for 20 mins until almost tender.
- Add the tomatoes to the dish and scatter over the thyme sprigs. Place the pieces of cod on top of the vegetables and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle over the rest of the olive oil and return the dish to the oven for a further 20-25 mins until the vegetables are tender and the cod is cooked through - it should flake easily. Serve straight from the dish, garnished with thyme sprigs.