Spicy chicken stir-fry with cashews and peppers
This Asian-inspired spicy chicken and noodle stir-fry with cashew nuts and peppers uses cashews to add a lovely nutty flavour and a bit of extra crunch too! Choose this stir-fry recipe thatís ready in 25 minutes for a dish that you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen slaving over. You get colour, flavour and amazing textures from this stir-fry and if you don't like spicy food too much, you can easily scale down your use of chilli! The onion and pepper will help you towards your five-a-day and the chicken is great for getting your daily does of protein. If you wanted, you could have some freshly sliced chilli served separately on the table, so everyone can help themselves.
- 200g (7oz) dried medium egg noodles
- 2tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced
- 100g (4oz) roasted cashew nuts
- 2tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander
It couldn't be easier to make a veggie version of this stir-fry. Just replace the chicken with tofu or Quorn pieces.
- Place the egg noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3 mins until tender. Drain, run under cold water and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or a wok until hot, then add the groundnut oil, onions, chillies and red pepper and stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 4 mins or until cooked through and golden. Add the nuts, Thai fish sauce, Tamari, lemon juice, onion mixture and noodles to the pan. Stir thoroughly and cook for 4 mins or until heated through, stirring continually. Stir in the coriander and serve immediately.