Spicy puff pastry straws
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These irresistible nibbles are perfect party food. They only take 30 mins to make and you can freeze them to get ahead. Bonus!
- 150g (5oz) ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp hot smoked, or plain, paprika (pimenton)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp grated fresh Parmesan
If you're using frozen puff pastry, allow it to thaw out evenly in the fridge for around 6 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven, 400°F, gas mark 6).
- Roll pastry into a rectangle (approx 41cm x 26cm/16in x 10in). Brush with a little egg and sprinkle spices and Parmesan evenly over the surface.
- Fold pastry in half towards you, press lightly with the rolling pin and trim edges. Brush with the remaining egg, cut into straws (1cm/½ in thick). Pick up each straw and twist in opposite directions.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet for 12-15 mins until golden brown, then cool on a wire rack.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 95(kcal)
- Fat 7.0g
- Saturates 1.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.