Roasted pepper flan
Cooking time:(may need 10 mins extra)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Colourful peppers and Parma ham make this shortcrust flan irresistible. It's great for lunch, as part of a buffet or as a tasty dinner with salad.
- 4 large peppers (red, yellow and orange), deseeded and cut into strips
- 60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
- 350g (12oz) shortcrust pastry
- 4 slices Parma ham, torn into strips
- 4 large eggs
- 60ml (4tbsp) half-fat crème fraîche
- 2tsp Italian dried herbs
- Salad, to serve
Top tip: For a simple veggie version, replace the Parma ham with delicious sun-dried tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Place the peppers and oil in a roasting tin and roast for 20-25 mins until tender. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry and use to line a 30cm x 20cm (12in x 8in) loose-based flan tin. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins. Then remove parchment and beans and return to oven for 5 mins.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Arrange the peppers and ham in the pastry case.
- Beat the eggs, crème fraîche and dried herbs together. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over the peppers and ham. Bake on a hot baking sheet for 25-30 mins until set and golden. Cut into slices and serve with salad.