Cooking time:(may need 5 mins extra)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This easy apple crumble recipe proves that you don't have to buy one readymade, it's so simple to make your own - and it tastes much better! Learning how to make apple crumble couldn't be easier - simply layer fruit with a little sugar and a crunchy crumble topping and bake. It's that simple! This easy recipe for apple crumble uses oats but you can leave them out if you want a plain apple crumble. It’s such a simple recipe that you only need eight ingredients to make the base and the apple crumble topping, and they’re all things that you probably already have in you cupboard – apples, sugar, cinnamon butter, flour and oats! This easy recipe also shows you how to make apple crumble in just six simple steps. Now for the important question - custard or ice cream? This classic crumble recipe serves 6-8 people so if perfect if you're feeding big crowds. And the best part of making an apple crumble from scratch instead of buying one from the shops is that it will take you only 35 mins in total. As with any other recipe for apple crumble, this apple crumble is best served warm, with a side of custard or ice cream. A homemade apple crumble is the perfect way to finish of a Sunday roast with the family.
- 900g (2lb) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 75g (3oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the apple crumble:
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 100g (4oz) demarara sugar
- 175g (6oz) jumbo oats
If you have a food processor, place the flour, butter and sugar in the bowl and pulse until the butter is thoroughly mixed in. Add the oats and blend again. Scatter over the apples as before for a lighter, more sticky apple crumble
- To make your apple crumble recipe, start by preheating the oven to 200°C/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Place the apple slices, caster sugar and cinnamon into a large ovenproof dish.
- Rub the butter into the plain flour, sugar and oats.
- Scatter the crumble over the apple mixture in an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden and the apples are tender.
- Serve your warm apple crumble with cream or ice-cream for a treat.