Cheese and herb scones
These savoury scones smell absolutely delicious out of the oven and make perfect party food
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 40g (1½ oz) diced butter
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 100g (4oz) Cheddar cheese
- 150ml (¼ pt) milk
- 1 egg
Serve warm from the oven with slices of cheese and tomato.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl with the baking powder, a large pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub the diced butter into flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the chopped parsley and 50g (2oz) Cheddar cheese.
- Add the milk and mix to make a fairly soft dough. Roll out on a floured surface to a 2cm (¾ in) thickness. Use a small round cutter and stamp out 12 small scones, re-rolling the dough once.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake for 8-10 mins until golden brown and risen. Cool on a wire rack.