Total time:(plus chilling time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
This strawberry flan is light and tasty and the apricot glaze enhances the flavour of the strawberries without being overbearing.
- 350ml (12fl oz) milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half
- 4 egg yolks
- 70g (2½ oz) caster sugar
- 20g (¾ oz) flour
- 22cm (8½ in) cooked pastry case
- 500g (1lb 2oz) strawberries
- 3tbsp apricot glaze (or sifted apricot jam), warmed
- Extra fresh fruit, to decorate
Top tip: Don't make this too far in advance, otherwise the custard will make the pastry turn soggy. It's delicious served with cream or vanilla ice-cream.
- Heat the milk in a pan with the vanilla pod, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, add the flour and a little warm milk and mix well. Add this mixture to the rest of the warm milk in the pan and whisk over the heat for 3-4 mins or until thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Fill the cooked pastry case with the custard.
- Wash, hull (remove the green bit) and slice the strawberries and arrange on top of the custard. Brush with the warm apricot glaze. Decorate with extra fresh fruit and glaze again. Chill before serving.