Total time:(May need an extra hour to freeze)
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
A low-fat treat that's simple to make and won't ruin your waistline - who doesn't love lemon sorbet?
- 120g (4oz) caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 5 lemons
- 1 medium egg white
- Make a syrup with the sugar, 300ml (½pt) water and lemon zest, then cookover a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has fully dissolved. Set asideto cool.
- Squeeze and sieve the lemons, then pour the juice into the cooledsyrup.
- Stir well, then taste to test that the mixture has enough lemon, asthe juice produced by lemons vary, and you might possibly need onemore.
- Pour the mixture into a container and transfer it to the freezer.
- Every hour or so, beat the mixture well to ensure that it doesn’tform large ice crystals.
- Quickly return the container to the freezer after each mix. Thisprocedure should be followed over several hours.
- When the mixture looks as though it’s beginning to set, whisk the eggwhite until stiff, then carefully fold it into the setting sorbet.Use a cutting motion as you fold it in, rather than whisking, so as notto lose too much air.
- Return to the freezer again and leave until the mixture is completelysolid.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 81(kcal)
- Fat 0.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.