Summer fruit tart
Prep time:plus 15 mins' chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Fruit and pastry are always a winning combination - and this summery treat, full of healthy, juicy berries, proves it.
- 275g (9½ oz) sweet shortcrust pastry5 tbsp strawberry conserve
- 100g (4oz) butter, softened
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 60g (2½ oz) ground almonds
- 1tbsp self-raising flour
- 100g (4oz) raspberries
- 100g (4oz) blueberries
- 2tbsp strawberry conserve, warmed and sieved, to glaze
You will need:
- A 30cm x 11cm x 2.5cm metal frame
Top tip: For a winter version of this tart, use rhubarb, red grapes and kiwi fruit instead of the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the metal frame set on a baking sheet. Prick the base with a fork and chill for 15 mins.
- Line the pastry with scrunched-up foil and bake for 10 mins. Remove the foil and return to the oven for a further 10 mins.
- Spread the strawberry conserve over the pastry base. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg, then fold in the almonds and flour. Spoon this mixture over the conserve.
- Arrange the fruit neatly on top and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 mins. Leave to cool for 5 mins before glazing.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 530(kcal)
- Fat 33.0g
- Saturates 15.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.