Garlic mushroom pasta bake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pasta bake is always a family favourite. This recipe, jam-packed with spinach and mushrooms, is healthy but will still be popular with the kids.
- 30-45ml (2-3tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 100g (4oz) baby spinach leaves
- 225g (8oz) penne pasta
- 15g (½oz) butter
- 15g (½oz) plain flour
- 300ml (½pt) milk
- 75g (3oz) mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
We’ve used this recipe in our credit crunch meal planner. Click here to go back to week 3 of the planner.
Add more vegetables to this recipe if you're struggling to get your five a day. Broccoli, sweetcorn or onions would all taste great.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the garlic and mushrooms over a high heat until just browned, adding more oil if necessary. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted water, according to the packet instructions, until just tender. Drain well and rinse under cold water.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Heat the butter in a pan, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time. Simmer for 2-3 mins until thickened. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir the pasta into the cheese sauce and add the mushroom and spinach mixture. Spoon into a large ovenproof dish and top with tomatoes. Bake for 20-25 mins until golden and bubbling.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 435(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.