Spiced cottage pie with sweet potato topping
Cooking time:(may need an extra 15 mins in the oven)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A simple cottage pie is given a spicy twist with Lea & Perrins sauce. The result? A flavoursome family favourite
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) minced beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 250g (9oz) small mushrooms, halved
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp Lea and Perrins
- 450ml (15fl oz) beef stock
- 2 aubergines, chopped into small chunks
- A little olive oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) sweet potatoes
- 300g (10oz) King Edward potatoes
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Spice it up even more with a dash of Tabasco, more Lea & Perrins or crushed chillies.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Brown the mince in a non-stick pan and set to one side. Gently sauté the onions and garlic until soft, add the spices and cook for 2 mins. Add the mushrooms, browned mince, tomatoes, Lea and Perrins and stock to the pan and reduce the heat. Then allow to simmer very gently for 2 to 2½ hours.
- Meanwhile, roast the aubergine in a little olive oil for about 20 mins until tender. Once cooked, add to the simmering mince.
- For the topping, roast the sweet potatoes and potatoes in their skins for about an hour. Scoop the cooked potatoes into a bowl, add the butter and season well. Set to one side until you are ready to assemble the dish.
- Once the meat has cooked, mix in the chopped parsley, transfer to an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato. Bake for 30-45 mins until topping is golden.