Vegetarian meatballs with red pepper sauce and spaghetti
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These vegetarian meatballs are really easy to make and tasty too. Using Quorn mince, mix all the ingredients together and shape with your hands. Cook in a rich, sweet red pepper sauce and serve on a bed of freshly cooked spaghetti. Sprinkle with a little cheese and ta-dah, it's ready to be served! These delicious meat-free meatballs can be ready to serve in just 40 mins. This recipe serves 4 people and is perfect for kids too. These meatballs are perfect served with a variety of pasta. Try penne or bows to encourage the kids to tuck in. You could also hide veggies in the rich tomato sauce, add in mushrooms, spinach or sweetcorn.
For the meatballs:
- 500g (18oz) pack Quorn/vegetarian mince
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 thick slice white bread, made into breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500g spaghetti
- Olive oil
When adding the breadcrumbs, remember you may not need all of them - just enough to make the mixture bind.
- First make the sauce: heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions and red peppers for about 5 mins, until starting to soften. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Then stir in the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and seasoning. Cook on a gentle heat, uncovered for about 15 mins, until sauce is thick. Remove from heat and blend for a smooth sauce or leave chunky. Check seasoning then set aside.
- For the meatballs, combine the turkey mince, onion, oregano and mix well with your hands. Tip in enough breadcrumbs to allow the mixture to bind. With damp hands, roll the mixture into little balls until it is all used up, makes about 16.
- Heat about 2tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs in two batches for about 15 mins until cooked, turning frequently to brown all over.
- Reheat the red pepper sauce in a saucepan and add the meatballs to warm through.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain the spaghetti and divide between four bowls. Spoon the sauce and meatballs on top and serve with a little grated Parmesan if liked.