Sultana and lemon syrup fairy cakes
These fruity, citrus fairy cakes are a deliciously light treat. The sugar topping goes crispy as it cools - irresistible!
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 5ml (1tsp) baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 30ml (2tbsp) lemon curd
- 100g (4oz) sultanas
For the topping:
- 100g (4oz) granulated sugar
- Juice and grated rind from 1 lemon
For an extra zesty flavour, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice into the cake mixture.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 (180°C, 350°F). Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cake cases.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until thoroughly blended, pale and creamy. Fold in the lemon curd and sultanas.
- 3 Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake for 15-20 mins until risen and golden brown. While the cakes are baking, mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl.
- 4 Remove the cakes from the oven and leave for 1-2 mins, then spoon some of the topping over each cupcake. Leave to cool in the tray. The sugar topping will go crisp on cooling.