Chocolate and almond slices
Melt-in-the-mouth chocolate and crunchy almonds are a winning combination in these deliciously moreish cakes
- 150g (5oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 5ml (1tsp) baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 75g (3oz) ground almonds
For the icing:
- 100g (4oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 15ml (1tbsp) golden syrup
To tell whether the cakes have cooked or need a little longer in the oven, insert a skewer: it should come out clean.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line the base of a 20x24cm (8x9½in) shallow cake tin with baking parchment. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted, stir and cool for 5 mins.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs and ground almonds in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until creamy. Fold in the melted chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for 30-35 mins until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 5 mins, then turn out and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place all the ingredients in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted, then remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Cool until thick enough to spread over the top of the cake. Leave until the icing has just set, then cut into slices.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 492(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.