Turkey pie with leeks and mushroom
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Turkey pie is a delicious and easy way to use up your turkey leftovers after Christmas dinner. This filling turkey pie, packed with tender turkey pieces and fresh vegetables, makes a heartwarming family meal that you can whip up without much effort. To make this tasty turkey pie, you'll only need about 10 mins in the kitchen to prep it, and then all you have to is pop it the oven and let it bake for about 20 mins. To make this turkey recipe easier and quicker, we've used ready-made puff pastry, so you can have a filling meal ready in about 30 mins from scratch - ideal if you're still tired from all the Christmas cooking. Tuck in!
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g (18oz) diced British turkey breast
- 2 leeks, washed and thickly sliced
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms, wiped and quartered
- Sprig of thyme, leaves picked
- 15g (½ oz) butter
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 300ml (½ pt) milk
- Chicken stock cube
- Black pepper
- Pack ready-made puff pastry
- Little milk and beaten egg for glazing
Still got leftover turkey breast? Use it to make a simple-but-tasty stir-fry.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7). Heat oil in a frying pan and brown the turkey. Add the leeks, mushrooms and thyme leaves and fry for about 10 mins until softened and slightly caramelised.
- Meanwhile. make a white sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the flour, stirring well with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Cook for 1 min. Pour over the milk a little at a time, whisking continually until you have a thick sauce. Crumble in the stock cube and season with pepper to taste.
- Mix the turkey mixture with the sauce and pour filling into a deep pie dish.
- Grease the edges of the pie dish with a little butter. Roll out the pastry and transfer to the pie dish to make a lid. Trim the pastry from around the edges and press down to seal.
- Brush milk or egg over the pastry to glaze it. Prick it with a fork and place in the oven at 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7) for 15-20 mins. The pastry should be risen and golden brown when you take it out.
- Allow the pie to stand for 5-10 mins, then serve with a simple boiled vegetable accompaniment.