Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This filling vegetarian frittata makes a great lunch - or serve it with potatoes and salad for a hearty evening meal
- A knob of butter
- 350g (12oz) brown closed cup mushrooms
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 8 eggs, beaten
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 50g (2oz) Gruyère cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
You can eat this frittata cold if you prefer - it makes a great picnic dish.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan, add the mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 6-8 mins until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile beat the eggs and nutmeg in a large bowl and season well. Pour into the pan and stir well, cook over a gentle heat for a minute. Shake the pan to level the frittata, cover with a baking sheet or a pan lid and cook over a gentle heat for 6-8 mins or until the egg is almost set.
- Scatter over the remaining cheese and cook under a hot grill for a further 4-5 mins until the top is golden and set.
- Leave to cool in the pan for pan for 5 mins before cutting into wedges and serving warm.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 257(kcal)
- Fat 20.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.