Banana and walnut cake
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Banana and walnut cake puts a really fruity twist on a classic teatime cake that everyone will love! Bananas and walnuts are a match made in heaven and you won't be able to resist a slice with a cup of tea in the company of good friends. The frosting adds another dimension to a really simple, yet delicious recipe and because it's so easy to make you'll find yourself making it time and time again! Give it a go tonight, you won't be disappointed - it's the perfect cake for sharing!
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 50g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed with 10ml (2tsp) lemon juice
For the frosting:
- 175g (6oz) reduced-fat soft cheese e.g. Philadelphia
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- Chopped walnuts and mixed spice, to decorate
Top tip: Without the soft cheese frosting, this cake will keep for up to a week. Wrap in greaseproof paper or foil and store in an airtight tin.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3). Grease and line the base and up two sides of a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with parchment.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, spice, baking powder and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until thoroughly combined. Fold in the walnuts and mashed bananas.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface. Bake for 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a rack to cool completely.
- Beat together the soft cheese and icing sugar and spread over the cold loaf. Decorate with the walnuts and mixed spice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 456(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.