Couscous, chickpea and salmon salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This flavoursome couscous salad with chickpeas and omega-3-rich salmon is quick to prepare and full of health-boosting ingredients. Tuck in!
- 75g (2oz) couscous
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 3tbsp chopped fresh dill or 2tsp freeze-dried 50g cucumber, halved and sliced
- ½ green pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 75g canned chick peas, drained
- 2 x 100g smoked salmon fillets, cooked lightly
- 1 130g bag herb salad mix
If you like your couscous a little spicier, add 1tsp cinnamon to the mix.
- Put the kettle on to boil. Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and stir in the olive oil, lemon zest and juice and dill. Season with salt and pepper then pour over 150ml boiling water from the kettle. Stir well, cover with an upturned plate and leave to stand for at least 10 mins or longer if preferred.
- Remove the plate and stir the cucumber, pepper and chick peas into the couscous. Heap in the base or at one end of plastic lunch box.
- Break the salmon into large flakes and place on top or next to the couscous. Finally add the salad leaves and seal the container. Chill until required.