Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
White wine, mustard and tasty Cheddar add tons of flavour to this simple, herby root veg and carrot casserole hotpot. It's the perfect winter warmer!
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 300ml (½ pt) hot vegetable stock
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 150ml (¼ pt) dry white wine
- 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Layer all the vegetables in a deep-sided casserole dish. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper between each layer and sprinkle a little of the dried mixed herbs.
- Mix together the stock, mustard and white wine and pour over the vegetables. Cover tightly and cook for 1hr 30 mins
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and cheese. Uncover the hotpot and press the breadcrumb mixture on top of the vegetables.
- Return to the oven for a further 20-25 mins until the breadcrumb topping is crisp and golden.