Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
You just need a few basic ingredients to make this warming chicken casserole dish
- 1tbsp (15ml) oil
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 4 chicken fillets, cut into large pieces
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 600ml (1pt) hot chicken stock
- Parsley, to garnish
For an extra kick, add ½ tsp mild chilli powder to the casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3). Heat the oil and half the butter in a large frying pan and fry the chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Layer half the potato slices and leeks in the base of a large shallow casserole dish and season well. Top with the chicken pieces and any pan juices and layer the rest of the leeks and potato slices over the top.
- Pour over the stock and season well. Cover tightly with buttered foil and the casserole lid. Cook for 1 hr 30 mins. Dot with the rest of the butter and cook, uncovered, for a further 30 mins until the top layer of potatoes is golden. Garnish with parsley to serve.