Garlic and mushroom bruschetta
Skill level: Easy peasy
This quick-to-prepare dish is absolutely perfect for a hearty brunch or lunch with friends. Tuck in!
- 6ml (2tbsp) olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225g (8oz) button mushrooms, halved
- 3 tbsp dry white wine (or water)
- 1 (200g) pot half fat crème frâiche
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- 4 large Lion Quality eggs
- a dash of vinegar
- snipped fresh chives to serve
When cooking with wine, only ever use wine that you'd be happy to drink.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 2-3 mins or until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 mins or until the juices have come out of the mushrooms.
- Increase the heat, add the wine (or water) and cook over a high heat until the liquid has evaporated. Season well, then stir in the crème frâiche. Gently reheat until hot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large frying pan of salted water to the boil. Add the vinegar. Carefully crack the each of the eggs into a saucer, then tip gently into the simmering water. Cook for 3-4 mins or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Lift from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Lightly toast the bread, then top with the mushroom mixture. Place a poached egg on top and serve garnished with snipped fresh chives.