Despite the posh French name, this baked pudding is just like a fruit-filled pancake - simple-to-make but absolutely delicious!
- 450g (1lb) fresh cherries, pitted, or 1 (400g) can black cherries, drained and pitted
- 60ml (4tbsp) kirsch or cherry brandy
- 100ml (4fl oz) milk
- 150ml (¼ pt) whipping cream
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla essence
- 4 large Lion Quality eggs
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- Icing sugar to dust
When buying eggs, always look for the Lion Quality symbol: this indicates that they've been British-laid and vaccinated against salmonella.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Lightly oil a 23cm (9in) wide ovenproof dish. Mix the cherries and kirsch or brandy together and set aside.
- Put the milk, cream and vanilla in a pan and heat until almost boiling. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until creamy, add the flour and beat until smooth. Pour over the hot milk and mix well. You can leave the mixture to stand for up to 1 hr.
- Scatter the cherries over the base of the dish. Stir the batter, then pour over the cherries in the dish. Bake for 30-35 mins or until risen and puffy. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with whipped cream.