Pecan maple brownies
Pecan nuts give some extra crunch to this deliciously moreish chocolate brownies. Watch them disappear!
- 250g (9oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 225g (8oz) butter
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 90ml (6tbsp) maple syrup
- 150g (5oz) plain flour, sifted
- 200g packet pecan nuts, roughly chopped
Always use the best quality chocolate you can find - with 70% cocoa solids or more. It's full of health-boosting antioxidants - and it tastes better, too!
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4). Lightly grease an 18 x 27cm (7 x 10½ in) tin and line with non-stick baking parchment.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Leave for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally until melted. Cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and maple syrup. Whisk into the melted chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour and two-thirds of the pecan nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and scatter over the rest of the nuts. Bake for 35-40 mins until the top is crisp and the centre is almost set. Leave to cool completely in the tin, then turn out and cut into squares.