Pistachio and lemon shortbread
Pistachio nuts and lemon rind add contrast and texture to these anytime-with-a-cuppa shortbread biscuits
- 275g (10oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) cornflour
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 10ml (2tsp) finely grated lemon rind
- 175g (6oz) pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
Shortbread is baked at a low temperature to stop it from browning. When cooked, it should be almost white, or a light golden brown, in colour.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3). Lightly grease an 18cm (7in) square cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking parchment.
- Mix the flour and cornflour together and sift on to a plate. Place the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually stir in the flours and nuts, mixing to a firm dough. Press the dough into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 25-35 mins until pale golden.
- Mark into 12 fingers while hot, then leave to cool in the tin. When completely cold turn out and cut into fingers.