Whole roast sea bass
Cooking time:plus 20 mins' resting time
Sea bass is a wonderfully fragrant, flavoursome fish that tastes fantastic when roasted. Guaranteed to impress
- 1 x 1kg (2lb 3oz) whole sea bass, fresh or defrosted, scaled, cleaned and head removed
- 15ml (1tbsp) sea salt
- 2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 juiced
- 2 bunches of rosemary
- 60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly sliced
When buying fresh sea bass, make sure it smells fresh and not overly fishy. Flesh should give slightly when you press it with a finger - then spring back into shape.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F, gas mark 7).
- Salt the inside and outside of the fish, then set aside for 20 mins. Rinse and pat dry.
- Slash the skin of the bass in about three places on each side and insert the lemon slices. Place the herbs inside the fish, then transfer to a greased baking tray.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and very gently cook the garlic for 1-2 mins, but do not allow to brown. Pour the oil and garlic on top of the fish.
- Bake in the hot oven for 20 mins. Baste frequently with the oil and cook until the fish flakes easily and the skin is slightly crisp.
- Pour the lemon juice over the bass, garnish with lemon slices and serve with a selection of vegetables.