Cheddar and tomato quiche
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pesto and chives give this classic vegetarian quiche extra flavour, but it's still simple enough to appeal to the kids
- 225g (8oz) ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3tbsp pesto sauce
- 175g (6oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 large Lion Quality eggs
- 500g tub crème fraîche
- 4tbsp freshly snipped chives
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced lengthways
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
When buying eggs, look for the Lion Quality symbol: this indicates they're British-laid and have been vaccinated against salmonella.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Use the pastry to line a 20cm (8in) fluted deep flan tin. Trim the edges, line the base with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 20 mins, removing the beans for the final 5 mins.
- Spread the pesto sauce over the base and scatter over a third of the Cheddar. Beat the eggs, crème fraîche, chives and seasoning together, and stir in the remaining cheese. Pour into the pastry case and bake for 20 mins or until the filling is beginning to set.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the quiche, overlapping them slightly. Brush with the oil and bake for a further 30 mins. Serve warm or cold.