Skill level: Easy peasy
Deliciously salty squid tastes even more fabulous mixed with roasted vegetables in this easy-to-prepare dish
- 680g (1lb 8oz) squid, fresh or defrosted, skinned, cleaned and sliced?
- 120ml (8tbsp) olive oil?
- 60ml spoon (4tbsp) fresh chopped basil?
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed?
- 4 medium aubergines, sliced lengthways?
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced?
- 2 orange peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced?
- 4 courgettes, thickly sliced
- black pepper, to season
- 455g (1lb) cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
When buying squid, make sure it smells like the ocean - but not too fishy. It should look shiny and firm with a grey membrane.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F, gas mark 8).
- Mix together the oil, basil and garlic and leave to infuse.
- Place the aubergines on a baking sheet and brush with some of the infused oil.
- Place the peppers and courgettes in a large roasting tin and drizzle with remaining oil.
- Season all the vegetables with black pepper. Bake the vegetables in the oven for 20 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and squid to the peppers and courgettes and stir well. Turn over the aubergines.
- Return both trays to the oven and continue cooking for a further 15 mins. Mix everything together. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve on a bed of couscous.