A light, delicate Italian treat made with strawberries and sweet Marsala wine.
- 225g/8oz strawberries, hulled
- 30ml/2tbsp icing sugar
- 4 large Lion Quality egg yolks
- 65g/2.5floz Marsala or medium sherry
- Drinking chocolate to dust
- Thin biscuits to serve
Save three of the egg whites from separating the eggs for making our delicious Pavlovas. Placed in a rigid container and covered, egg whites can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months for meringue making at a later date. Thaw overnight in the fridge before using.
- Rinse the strawberries in cold water, then cut each in half. Place in a small bowl and toss in the icing sugar. Divide between four tall glasses and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and whist until the eggs are thick and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the Marsala, the mixture will become runny. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook for 10-15 mins, whisking all the time until the mixture is really thick and creamy – it should be thick enough to leave an 's' shape on the top of the mixture when the whisk heads are lifted.
- Divide the mixture between the glasses spooning it over the strawberries, dust with drinking chocolate and serve immediately with thin biscuits.