Cheese and ham risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This mild creamy risotto is so much more appealing to young children than boiled rice as the grains stick together. Delicious and easy.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 300g (10oz) risotto rice
- 900ml (1½ pt vegetable or chicken stock
- 150g (5oz) mixed frozen vegetables
- 50g (2oz) ham, cut into strips
- 100g (4oz) Lancashire cheese
- 50g (2oz) Double Gloucester cheese, grated
Want to make this for under £1 head?
Cost: £3.74 (Asda)
Items: Arborio risotto rice 93p, Smartprice frozen veg 44p, Deli carver ham (100g) 70p, Lancashire Cheddar (250g) £1.58, Onion 9p
(Prices correct at time of writing. See mysupermarket for more deals).
Find more recipes for under £1 a head
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat until just softened
- Stir in the rice and cook for 1 min, then add the stock
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 mins until the rice is almost tender, stirring occasionally
- Stir the vegetables and ham into the pan. Cover and continue to cook for a further 5-10 mins until the rice is creamy and tender. Add a little more stock if required
- Remove from the heat and crumble the Lancashire cheese into small pieces and stir into the rice until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve the risotto with the grated cheese for sprinkling on top.