Chicken and potato casserole
Costs: Cheap as chips
An easy casserole dish that'll feed the family. A hint of cider and apple give it extra flavour. This delicious chicken casserole is a brilliant go to meal if you want a hearty dinner that will feed the whole family and tastes really great. Plus, as this recipe uses carrots, celery and an apple it contains lots of vitamins and minerals to help the family on their way to achieving their five-a-day. Whatís more, this casserole recipe is super quick to make and doesnít take too much prep Ė itís just a case of frying some of the ingredients and then popping it all into a casserole dish and into the oven. Itís a really cost effective way of feeding four people this week.
- 350g (12oz) new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken portions
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 150g (5oz) baby carrots
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 450ml (16fl oz)cider
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch spring onions, cut into 3cm (1in) pieces
- 1 apple, sliced
You can include more winter vegetables, such as parsnips, turnips and swedes, to make this a real winter warmer.
- To make this chicken casserole, preheat the oven to 200įC (400įF, gas mark 6).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for 5 mins until browned. Transfer to a casserole dish with the new potatoes, add the celery and carrots to the pan and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually blend in the cider and add the stock cube. Bring to the boil, stirring, then add the thyme and seasoning and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook for 1 hr 15 mins
- Add the spring onions and apple and cook for a further 15 mins. Stir well before serving.