Spicy tomato chowder
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Cheap and so easy to make with peppers, spuds and tomatoes, a dash of chilli sauce adds a bit of extra heat to this rich tomato soup.
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 350g (12oz) potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 x 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2tsp chilli sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Top tip: Top this chowder with grated cheese and serve with crusty bread. Perfect!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan for 2 mins. Add the onion and garlic and fry over a medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add the potatoes, chopped tomatoes, pepper and chilli sauce and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Season to taste, cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the potato is cooked. If the soup is a little thick add a small amount of water. Remember to stir occasionally.