Spiced bean and carrot patties
Cooking time:plus chilling
Spicy beans help transform these patties into flavoursome treats.
- 75ml (5tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 5ml (1tsp) harissa paste (see tip)
- 300g can cannellini beans, drained
- 200g can red kidney beans, drained
- 45ml (3tbsp) fresh chopped coriander
- 100g (4oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Salad and yogurt dressing, to serve (see tip)
Harissa paste is a fiery hot blend of spices from North Africa. You will find it near the dried herbs in most large supermarkets. These patties are great served with dark salad leaves, such as baby spinach and watercress, and chunks of cooked beetroot. For a low-cal dressing, blend 60ml (4tbsp) natural yogurt with 15ml (1tbsp) fresh chopped coriander, a little lemon juice and finely grated rind and a large pinch of salt.
- Heat 15ml (1tbsp) of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until softened. Cool for 5 mins, then place in a food processor with the carrots, harissa paste, beans, coriander and breadcrumbs.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and process for about 30 seconds until well blended. Shape the mixture into 15 small round patties. Cover and then chill for 30 mins.
- Shallow-fry the patties in the remaining oil for 2-3 mins on each side until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with salad and dressing.