Lamb and feta stuffed tomatoes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Filled with lean lamb, feta cheese and lots of herbs and spices, these roasted beef tomatoes are a classic Greek side dish. Delicious.
- 4 large beef tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 175g (6oz) lean minced lamb
- 100g (4oz) easy-cook long grain rice
- 450ml (¾pt) stock
- Feta cheese
- 15ml (1tbsp) tomato puree
- 1tsp each of ground cumin, coriander and dried oregano
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6).
- Fry the finely chopped onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the minced lamb and cook over a high heat until browned.
- Stir in the rice, stock, tomato puree and spices and herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 20-25 mins until the rice is tender.
- Halve and scoop out the seeds and flesh from the tomatoes. Chop the flesh and add it to the lamb rice. Spoon the rice mixture into the tomato shells.
- Place in an ovenproof dish, top with crumbled feta cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 mins until piping hot. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.