Sausage and tomato pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Really easy and will appeal to the whole family - you can have this on your plates within the hour.
- 10ml (2tsp) olive oil
- 8 good-quality pork sausages
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 10ml (2tsp) tomato purée
- 5ml (1tsp) sugar
- 275g (10oz) penne pasta
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the sausages until browned all over. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the onion and carrot to the frying pan and cook for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, purée and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins. Cut each sausage into 4 pieces and return to the sauce. Cook the sauce for a further 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 mins or according to the packet instructions. Drain well and stir into the tomato sauce. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.