Lemon chicken with tabbouleh
Prep time:plus soaking
Bulgar wheat is a bit like couscous and just as easy to make. It will soak up the flavours of the lemon chicken and dressing, turning this into a tasty evening meal or alternative for lunch.
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 large chicken thigh portions
- 60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
- 45ml (3tbsp) lemon juice
- 30ml (2tbsp) clear honey, warmed
- 225g (8oz) bulgar (cracked) wheat (see tip)
- 1/2 cucumber, finely diced
- spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 45ml (3tbsp) fresh chopped mint
Bulgar wheat is a type of grain that’s parboiled, dried and finely crushed. It’s similar to couscous but has more texture. Find it in large supermarkets or healthfood shops.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Push a lemon slice under the skin of each chicken thigh. Heat 15ml (1tbsp) of the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until golden. Transfer to a roasting tin with the rest of the lemon slices.
- Mix 15ml (1tbsp) of the lemon juice with the honey; pour over the chicken. Roast for 20-25 mins until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgar wheat in a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover. Leave for 30 mins until grains are soft. Stir well and drain off excess water. Add the rest of the olive oil, lemon juice, cucumber, spring onions and mint and mix well. Season to taste. Serve the chicken on the tabbouleh with any pan juices poured over.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 625(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.