Mini fish pie faces
Easy to make and perfect for kids, these mini fish pies are also high in minerals and essential vitamins.
- 2 x 450g packets ready made, chilled creamy mashed potato
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250g cod fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3cm)
- 250g salmon fillet, skinned and cut into cubes (approx 3 cm)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml milk
- salt and pepper
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Carrot for hair (use zester to make long thin strips)
- Salad cress for hair
- Red pepper for lips
- Baby sweetcorn for nose
- Spring onion, mini cucumber and peas for eyes
- Blanched French beans for moustache
- Blanched cauliflower for ears
- Cherry tomatoes for cheeks
- Basil for bow-tie
- Melt butter in a saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the flour and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the fish to the onion and tomato together with the parsley and bay leaf. Pour over the milk and season to taste. Simmer for about 4 mins until the fish is cooked through. Remove the bay leaf and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Divide the fish between the ramekin dishes (makes 4 to 6 portions according to size of dish) and top with the mashed potato.
- Brush beaten egg over the surface of the mashed potato.
- Cook in an oven pre-heated to 180C for 15 mins and finish off for a few mins under a pre-heated grill until golden.
- Decorate the pies with faces - children will enjoy designing their own if you give them a selection of vegetables.
Fancy making a traditional fish pie? Try our classic fish pie recipe