Garlic mushroom jackets
Skill level: Easy peasy
Baked potatoes are simple to prepare yet extremely versatile and nutritious. They can be served as an accompaniment or with a filling as a complete meal.
- Recommended serving: 1 x 225g (8oz) potato per person
- 15g ( ½ oz) butter
- 2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 175g (6oz) Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 x 15ml spn (2tblspn) Cream cheese
- 2 x 15ml spn (2tblspn) Freshly chopped herbs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Rub a little salt into the skins before baking to make them extra crispy. If cooking an ovenful of potatoes, increase the temperature to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Use metal skewers or baking prongs pushed through the potatoes to reduce the cooking time by up to a quarter.
- Select even-shaped potatoes and scrub.
- Place the potatoes in a pre-heated oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6,
- After the potato has been cooking for about 1 hour, melt the butter, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook gently for 5 – 10 minutes depending on the variety, (wild mushrooms need to be cooked thoroughly)
- Stir in the cream cheese and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add the herbs and season to taste
- When the potatoes are cooked cut them almost in half lengthways and spoon in the mushroom sauce.