Peppered steak and mushroom salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
A thick, juicy steak is perfect comfort food after a long day- and with a healthy mushroom salad on the side there's no need to feel guilty!
- 2 thick sirloin or rump steaks
- Knob of butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 8 button onions, halved
- 175g (6oz) chestnut mushrooms
- 75g (3oz) mixed peppery salad leaves
- 60ml (4tbsp) mayonnaise
- 15ml (1tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- Spread the steaks with a little butter, then season liberally with freshly ground black pepper. Heat a large knob of butter and the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry the button onions for 6-7 mins until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the steaks to the pan and cook for 3-5 mins on each side until cooked to your liking. Remove from the pan and leave to rest for 5 mins. Add the chestnut mushrooms to the pan juices and fry over a high heat for 1-2 mins. Return the onions to the pan to heat through, then toss the onions and mushrooms into the salad leaves. Thinly slice the steaks and add to the salad. Mix the mayonnaise and wholegrain mustard, mix in and serve immediately.